I love people but sometimes like to be where they aren’t.
Fridges, freezers and computers don’t need to be switched off, but we humans do.
A short digital detox and mental floss at either side of each day – 5 minutes is enough – has been shown to have a huge impact on productivity and creativity.
Research shows that sitting quietly in a room, or going for an ambulando (thinking whilst walking), awakens you on the inside and causes what’s happening on the outside to move into overdrive.
There’s an old Zen saying, “You should meditate for 10 minutes a day. If you’re too busy, meditate for an hour a day.”
High performance with low fulfilment, or without physical and mental recovery, ultimately leads to burnout.
As Fried and Hansson say in their excellent book Rework,
“Workaholics aren’t heroes. They don’t save the day, they just use it up. The real hero is already home because she figured a faster way to get things done.”
Over the longer term, it’s the Workafrolics – the people who work hard and play hard – who are truly successful.
1. My mother-in-law has just finished a 12 hour shift. I knew she would find first gear eventually.
2. My computer crashed and now my wife’s computer has slowed down to see what’s happening.
3. She drove her car into a river. One minute Kia. Next minute Nokia.
4. I got lost on the way to the rubbish tip, so I asked a passer-by, “I wonder if you can help me. I’m looking for a rubbish tip.”
“England to win the World Cup,” he replied.
5. Aircraft designers have constructed a plane made entirely of rubber, so that if it crashes, it bounces.
It’s called a Boing 747.
Dr. Mark D. Yates is a global #1 LinkedIn consultancy business growth specialist, LinkedIn speaker, LinkedIn Sign & LinkedIn training instructor & CEO of Link Business Marketing Ltd. If you need to hire a LinkedIn expert to help you gain profitable business growth, contact him. Tel: UK 0203 390 2013 Email: email@example.com, connect with him on LinkedIn & Twitter You can view & download his dynamic independent LinkedIn training program at: linkedinswat.co.uk.