Don Corleone’s 12 Mafia Business Networking Tips for Growing Your LinkedIn Connections
Most people I consult with believe that business networking & social media is a relatively new concept.
From an online perspective, that may be true. However business networking has been around for a long time in various different guises.
For example I’ve utilised quotations taken from The Godfather Movie & Don Corleone’s family to demonstrate a light hearted Mafia take on business networking.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 1
- Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. The Godfather Don Corleone.
In professional business networking your friends are your business connections and your enemies are your competitors. LinkedIn (LI) allows you the opportunity to keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 2
- Just when I thought I was out, they keep dragging me back in again. The Godfather Michael Corleone.
Every time I think I have completed my multi business sector global business network on LI and I step out of the sheer intensity of Power Networking, a client from a new business sector pulls me back in again.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 3
- The promise is, the deal will be so good we can’t refuse. Sonny Corleone.
As a proactive LI networker you will be inundated with e-mails offering you all kinds of fantastic business deals which the author suggests are so good you can’t refuse them. Guess what? Most scams are based on the premise of greed and sold on the basis that you shouldn’t refuse the deal.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 4
- Without your father’s political contacts and personal influence, the Corleone business loses half its strength. Tom Hagan Consigliere to The Godfather.
If you are not seriously connected to major contacts and/or people of influence on LI then you should connect with as many POWER networkers as possible. Find many in the LI Black Belt POWER Networkers group.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 5
- My business methods are as safe as these things can be, about five per cent loss. The risk is nothing, the profits enormous. Sollozzo Turkish Gangster arch enemy of the Godfather.
As you build your LI contact base you will be contacted by many unscrupulous spammers offering you unlimited earnings from joining their outrageous business schemes. Guess what? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then there’s a very high probability it’s a duck
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 6
- I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse. The Godfather Don Corleone.
If you are going to stick your neck out and offer your business contacts an offer they can’t refuse, then make sure it’s a genuine offer; otherwise your www.linkedin.com business contacts will desert you in their droves.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 7
- The Godfather never asks a second favour when he has been refused the first. Understood? Tom Hagan Consigliere to The Godfather.
It’s a sad, but true fact that most inexperienced business networkers take far more than they give, and it is this single factor that prevents high volumes of people connecting with them on LI. Occasionally I’ll ask a business favour of someone on LI. If they refuse I’ll flag them as a ‘negative’ contact and never ask them for another favour.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 8
- I need a friend who has people in high places. Sollozzo Turkish Gangster arch enemy of the Godfather.
See previous point 4 then visit www.elinked.eu
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 9
- Never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking. The Godfather Don Corleone.
Every professional Power Networker I know works to their own carefully crafted business networking growth plan.
These plans contain ideas, tactics, goals and key performance indicators. Many Power Networkers belong to elite niche groups or families.
I’ve never known any Power Networker share their growth plans with anyone outside their family.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 10
- It will cost. Tom Hagan Consigliere to The Godfather.
All forms of professional business networking costs you something. LI has cost me time, effort, energy as well as finance. If you want to create and leverage a professional business network, then these are the foundation blocks of your Investment.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 11
- Blood is a big expense. Sollozzo Turkish Gangster arch enemy of the Godfather.
Ever heard the phrase, ‘sweating blood?’ If you have aspirations of building your professional LI network to between 25,000 to the LI maximum of 30,000, then be prepared to sweat buckets of blood on a daily basis.
Mafia Business Networking Tips # 12
- We’ve known each other for years, but this is the first time you come to me for help. The Godfather Don Corleone.
Most professional business networkers fail to fully leverage their business contacts. The real reason a Power Networker operates, is to help others 90% of the time, with a 10% expectation of a return. Never be afraid to ask your contacts for help. You will often be pleasantly surprised.
Mafia Business Networking Tips
Why the Mafia reference in this presentation?
Type Mafia into the LinkedIn ‘Advanced Search’ option and see who LinkedIn return as their # 1 Mafia search result.
Guess what? It’s not Don Corleone
I hope this light hearted look at Mafia networking helps you a little with your own productive business networking and social media networking.
Dr. Mark D. Yates
Dr. Mark D. Yates is a global #1 LinkedIn consultancy business growth specialist, LinkedIn speaker, LinkedIn Sign & LinkedIn training instructor & CEO of Link Business Marketing Ltd. If you need to hire a LinkedIn expert to help you gain profitable business growth, contact him. Tel: UK 0203 390 2013 Email: email@example.com, connect with him on LinkedIn & Twitter You can view & download his dynamic independent LinkedIn training program at: linkedinswat.co.uk.
Business growth is just what it sounds like. When a business gains a certain amount of success, it will subsequently... more